Sunday, April 6, 2008

Memory Lane

Channel 17 on XM radio is "Strait Country" until 5/31/08. Strait Country as in nothing but George Strait 24/7. My all time favorite singer!! Needless to say I spend a lot of time in the car this weekend listening to King George. Just about every song reminded me of something.

Love with out end, Amen. My dad used to sing this song to my sister and me. They also sang this at church on Father’s Day a couple of years ago.

Lead On. Back at Tech a group of us went out to Ransom Canyon for 4th of July. They had a concert and then fireworks. During the fireworks they did not play any music so we decided we would sing our own songs. Keith wanted to sing Lead On. So we attempted to sing the song but the only words we could remember were Lead On. We also butchered many, many more songs and I still laugh whenever I hear them

I was also reminded of the time at Midnight Rodeo when they had request night and we decided to list nothing but George Strait. Or the road trip Kevin, Keith and I took to El Paso to see him our freshman year at Tech. Keith and Kevin taking turns dancing with me anytime George came on at Cowpokes/Midnight Rodeo since I would not dance with anybody else. Lots more memories from Tech but I don’t have enough time to write them all down!

Write This Down. I taught my godson, Adam, this song. Every time I hear this song I can hear Adam at age 5 singing this song.

True. While at Red River, in my Doc Martin sandals, I taught Jeff how to two step to this song. (I can remember him asking every time a new song came on if it was George Strait. He had no idea who George Strait was but he had promised to dance with me if one of his songs came on. He didn’t mention that he didn’t know how to dance.)

Amarillo by Morning. Bob took me to see George two years ago and this is the only song he was looking forward to. He didn’t really know any other songs but he does now. Anyways, Bob was hoping this would be one of the last songs that George would sing so he would have something to look forward to. I think it was the second or third song that he sang. Poor Bob!

I Cross my Heart. The song used for first dance as a married couple for several of my friends.

I love listening to George because a lot of his songs have such sweet memories attached to them. Thanks for taking a small trip down memory lane with me.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

pretty much every time I hear George I think of you and your obsession. I was wondering just the other day if you still listened to George. Such a timely post.

--kevin

Marty said...

Kevin,

Not really obessed anymore - I haven't even bought his new album and it has been out a week. I tend to listen to KLTY more than anything else - its one of our local Christian stations in the DFW area. But it has been nice to listen to nothing but George on the radio!!!

Marty