Sunday, December 13, 2009

Mia Update


(photo taken by Elizabeth Fowler)

This is a post I do not want to write but I know I need to.

12/6/09 - Mia was sick. She kept throwing up and not wanting to eat. Didn't know if it was from eating too much grass or the chemo or if her cancer had returned. But it was enough to worry me. By Tuesday she was fine so tried not to think about it.

12/10/09 - Mia had her ultrasound done. I didn't go, I couldn't. Bob told me the technician said everything looked good and there was a small mass on her liver but that could be from her surgery. They took a sample to be tested and they would call with the results the next morning.

12/11/09 - Bob spent most of the day trying to get the results. Mia's regular vet said the sample that they took wasn't a good one but from what they could test the cells were not cancerous. Such a relief.

Last afternoon Mia's oncologist called Bob and told him the results were not good. With the type of cancer Mia has the mass in her liver is most likely cancer and she sees no point in continuing with the chemo. She gave Mia a 1-4 month life expectancy. Not what we expected to hear.

12/13/09 - So we have spent the last couple of days trying to process all of this all over again. I feel like I did three months ago when we were first given the diagnosis. It is so hard to process because if you see her she looks and acts fine. She is still sassy and full of spunk. So, I'm extremely sad but also extremely grateful. Her original diagnosis was 19 days to two months and here we are three months later....

2 comments:

Kate - k8tography said...

Oh I am so sorry to read about Mia's prognosis. Such a sad time really but from experience, try and make it the best time of her life.

Our dog Kiah died 2 years ago - she was 15. From the time she got sick to the time she died was only about 2 weeks. I am so happy we had that time with her to show her really how very much she was loved.

My heart is with you.

k8

Kate - k8tography said...

If you feel up to it, you might like to read about my Kiah on my old blog here....

http://katemularczyk.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2007-02-10T17%3A34%3A00%2B11%3A00&max-results=100

but it is way back in 2007 - February. The month she turned 15. And I still miss her so.