Thursday, September 11, 2008

Where were you?

I was at work. Raquel's mom called to say some idiot had crashed his plane into the World Trade Center. We started laughing. We thought it was funny that somebody would crash into a huge building. How blind must the guy be? We turned the radio on and heard the news that a second plane hit the other tower.

Now we know something is wrong. We rush to the lounge area and are stunned at what we see. Our beloved country was under attack and all we could do was watch in horror. We went back to our desks and rotated turns watching the news in the lounge.

Mike walked in they have hit the Pentagon and there is still a plane unaccounted for.

It was now my turn to go watch the news and as I walked into the room the first tower started to collapse. I was in shock. All I can remember is tears flooding my eyes and one of the guys giving me hug.

The rest of the work day was a blur.

Once I left work I noticed how quiet everything was. I worked right by DFW. No planes in the air. It was down right odd.

After I left work I went to my aunt's house. I just need to be around the kiddos (Rachel was 2 and Ryan was 15 months). I took Ryan for a walk outside and he kept pointing up at the air and shaking his head no. He loved to look at the planes and even at his young age he knew something was not right. I lost it. It took everything I had and then some not to break down. I just told him there were no planes in the sky that night. Rachel was down and kept telling Becky she was sad but didn't know why. I helped her get the kids ready for bed and then I went home.

When I got home I just lost it. I turned on the news and sat there in complete shock. I felt like I was in a very bad dream.

No comments: