Saturday, June 21, 2008

I'm back

I'm back online! All I could keep thinking this week is why was it easier for me to do the Daniel fast than it is to give up the internet (and to some extent TV). With the Daniel fast I pretty much had the same routine minus my morning trip to Starbucks. With the lifestyle fast my routine after work was not the same.
Usually at night I "catch up" with the world via the internet. I check on several of my favorite blogs, read several online newspapers, and check my e-mail. I did check my e-mail but I just scanned the subjects lines and if it was deemed important then I openned it. I did log onto the church website long enough to print the devotional and I had to google "how to get dog urine out of a persian rug." I felt out of touch with the world. I grew up without the internet and now it's like I can't live without it.
The only time I missed the TV was during my night time routine. I usually watch TV for 1/2 hour to an hour before going to bed. I did miss watching TV on Monday. Oh I so wanted to watch the US Open playoff. Instead my dad called to give me updates. If you know my dad he is not into sports so he would call me and try to relay what was going on. This provided some interesting commentary like him telling me that Tiger was up one when he was really down one. I could here the guys in the background saying "No,no, no, he's down one" and my dad saying "Oh sorry baby he's down one."
I never realized how much time I spend on the internet and watching TV. This week I had more time than what I knew to do with. I didn't feel like I was in a time crunch. I had time to spend with God, family, and friends this week that I normally don't feel like I do.

No comments: